Wednesday 1 December 2010

How My Magazine Challenges Real Magazines

I have purposefully made my magazine alternative to the usual, as I believe that the target audience for my magazine are radicals and this would suit what they wanted from a magazine. I got the inspiration for the design of my magazine from Kerrang! magazine and NME magazine. I thought those magazines aimed at a similar audience to mine so this would be relevant.
I took inspiration from kerrang and NME.
Masthead
I thought my masthead was quite unique and interesting compared with many others about at the moment. It seems like many magazines have a fairly simple masthead, so I decided to go against this and put a lot of thought and consideration into mine. It represents the outspoken nature of the loud target audience. The letters are almost splattered across the top of the front cover which links to the strapline of "strictly big beats" as the letters look like speakers being boomed out as a result of 'big beats'. It again links to the target audience through the use of the acronym "DNB", standing for drum 'n' bass, which is the genre of music for the magazine. The masthead is black with a red shadow to give it a mature, yet mysterious feel. Not many mastheads contain more than one colour so I thought it would be a unique way of doing it.
Front page with main image

The main image is taken in an untidy flat which also challenges the norms for magazines in today's society, and relates to my target audience who will have something in common with the artists in the image. I felt this was necessary because a lot of the magazines these days make artists seem superior to their readers and I thought it would be a useful way of hooking in the readers by making them seem level with the upcoming artists.

No comments:

Post a Comment